Enrolling in a Victorian Government School

Your child’s right to enrolment

Your child is guaranteed a place at the school they are zoned for, as shown on the Find My School website. This means that if your child lives within the school zone, they must be offered a place when seeking enrolment. To find the school you are zoned for (referred to as your local school) visit Find My School

Find My School

Going to a school outside your zone

You have the choice to seek enrolment at a school that is not your local school. Your child should be offered a place if the school has sufficient accommodation. If the school has limited accommodation, applications are considered using the priority order of placement. The priority order of placement prioritises out-of-zone siblings and then students in order of closeness of their home to the school. In exceptional circumstances, a student may be enrolled in a school based on compassionate grounds. Family and student privacy will be maintained when considering applications on compassionate grounds. To find out more, visit www.vic.gov.au/how-choose-school-and-enrol

Student tests and interviews

Enrolment offers are not dependent on a satisfactory report or interview. Student tests or interviews may only occur after an enrolment offer has been accepted.

Students with disability

Every student has the right to attend their local school. Students with disability have the same right to enrol in their local school as students without disability. All schools must make reasonable adjustments so that students with disability can learn and achieve on the same basis as students without disability. You also have the option to seek enrolment for your child at a government specialist school for students with disability.

International students

Fee-paying international students should apply through the Victorian Student Program at www.study.vic.gov.au